Saturday 3 January 2015

What it means to be a Reiki Master

Being a part of several spiritual communities, I know a lot of Reiki practitioners and different energy practitioners. I was attuned to become a Reiki Master in 2008, but did not teach for several years. Don't get me wrong, I was all ready to go and spread the energy of Reiki to others. I was eager and started writing my Reiki I manual right away. I prayed to my guides for guidance on how to teach and where to teach. I was worried about not doing the attunement correctly or not being a clear channel. So I prayed some more. My prayers were answered with the appearance of a new Reiki guide (yes Reiki guides can change!) and it would be years later that I started teaching. I was not ready to teach, but was lead to learn for years and develop my understanding of Reiki. Only after that, did the students appear.

I have seen so many Reiki Masters bastardize the Reiki energy that it is so disappointing. A gift from God, something SO sacred, manipulated by man into something else. Why and where do they go wrong?

  • spiritual energy can be mis-directed into the Ego. Spiritual energy can concentrate at the upper chakras, and for those who are not aware or doing the internal work, it manifests to the Ego. It can transform ones intention to be of service to being a Guru and attuning as many students as they can to feed their ego some more
  • people look to Reiki as a form of income and forget it's not about the money. I am guilty of it myself. My passion for energy work and desire to do it full time forced me to rely on it for income, which then created financial stress and then a downward spiral continues. After going through that learning, I see now that the work we do in the service of God does not automatically entitle us to financial gain. I have seen Reiki Masters pump out Reiki students like McDonald's pumping out burgers on a Friday night. At $200/student x 20 students in a class, that's a pretty penny for 5-8 hours of work. I have also seen these same Reiki Masters have their gift taken from them, no longer channeling Reiki or divine guidance (because they are no longer working with the Reiki guides or the Reiki energy). Some breakdown occurs which does not allow them the opportunities to practice or teach Reiki
  • people are attuned to Reiki levels I-III in a short period of time without letting the energies settle in their bodies. The short period of time does not allow for the energetic shifts to happen in their lives. I received a lot of energy work and learned various forms of energy work within a period of 2 years. After that, my life turned upside down, sideways, spun around and then inside out! I would not wish anyone to experience changes in energy like that. Thankfully I had the support of community and spiritual teachers. 
  • The Reiki master is not working with the guides. They are not asking if they are the right teacher for the student or if the student is ready. I have had potential students contact me, eager to learn. I provide them with information about Reiki, my philosophy and ask them to discern for themselves if I am the right teacher for them. 
  • Reiki Masters do not provide adequate support or encouragement to the students. I have seen many students attuned to Reiki, but their practice with it is not supported. If they don't use it, they lose it. 
  • Just because one is attuned to Reiki, it does not mean they are channeling Reiki at all times. Practitioners need to be grounded and check in with themselves to see if they are channeling Reiki and call in the guides. When I first started practicing Reiki, I was giving my own energy along with the Reiki. Not intentionally, but because I was so eager to help that I was giving it everything I could. 

My beliefs or approach to being a Reiki Master. I'm not saying these are right, but this is what works for me:
  • you need to work with the Reiki energy for a significant period of time or high frequency to understand the energy before you teach it. A Reiki practitioner should work with various people to understand how Reiki affects different people on different levels (emotional, physical, spiritual or physical)
  • Reiki level I is about healing yourself and not actually about healing others as many believe. Dr. Usui and Ms. Takata learned to use Reiki to heal themselves before others. The Reiki Master should be continuing their own internal work in order to support their students. The Reiki Master should continue to use Reiki on themselves as frequently as possible
  • Along with the point above, taking care of oneself and seeking the help of other health practitioners or energy workers for healing is important. Sometimes you cannot see the energy blockages, as one person said to me, 'you can't see the full picture if you are in it'
  • A Reiki attunement is like a super-duper Reiki session. Potential Reiki students should receive several Reiki sessions before becoming attuned. The sessions prepare the students for the shifts that will occur with the attunement. It is also an opportunity for the student to check out if the teacher is right for them.
  • never do work if you are not clear. At times when I am going through personal issues or shifts, I do not see clients or teach. The universe seems to know, and situations pop up to prevent me from doing Reiki
  • always check in with the guides and work with them. It is absolutely necessary to respect that you work with them, that Reiki practitioners are a channel for Reiki. If you are not delivering the messages or energies, the guides will stop working with you. They will also support your growth with Reiki and your spiritual evolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment